There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

SEQUELS

This is a post I was looking forward to writing. At this very moment, I am working on the sequel to the first book of the fantasy series. I just got to say, I love writing sequels. It's just so entertaining wondering what the reader is going to think at certain parts, how it connects to the previous book, and whether the reader will think it compares to the other book. A lot of writers find this to be quite tedious to consider, or they lose their minds under the pressure of making a quality sequel that readers will respect.

To really grasp the many different reactions people pertain to sequels, one could consider movie series. Sometimes, fans hate sequels, feeling that the plot was weak and the storyline lost its quality. I find it quite common to hear that people feel that the first movie or book was the best in the series and the ones that followed tried to hard to outdo the first. Other times, I hear that sequels were either as good, or better than the first and previous books or movies before them.

I feel that the secret to writing a good sequel is to not forget what inspired the first. It's important to build off of it, but not stray too far from what brought fans to it in the first place. These are things I consider as I write my sequel. I'm no expert of course, but I have observed and formed my own opinions. I guess we shall see if it makes a difference or not. What are your thoughts on sequels?

No comments:

Post a Comment